"Butterflies are free to fly...fly away...." - Elton John

I have been gone for a very long time it feels like...and probably is true...I have over-extended myself to a certain degree, not terribly so, but it was high time I came here and made a blog posting! Today I am going to explain to you how I made this painting/collage/mixed media piece of art...See below-
""Butterfly Moon"


I love the background on this piece, and it was so easy to make it is ridiculous...
1. I made myself some black gesso by mixing black acrylic paint in with some regular gesso until it was dark enough to suit me...

2. Then, I went ahead and chose the papers for the moon and all. I went ahead and made the moon, and then did the background, which I do NOT recommend doing in that order. 

3. Anyway..I took some gold spray paint, and a stencil of some trees and just misted it around here and there on the black canvas...It looks fabulous in real time! 

4. Then, I had gotten a new stamp set of cool looking houses, so I used one of them to make the house at the bottom of the pic. 

5. Then I took some more paper that had basically a swarm of butterflies flying on it, trimmed all around it with decorative scissors, and adhered it to the canvas as well, making it appear as if the butterflies were coming from the house, and partially obscuring the moon...

The entire thing measures 11 x 14 inches, and is on a 1" gallery wrap canvas...the background gives it a misty, kind of foggy look and is really nice...

This will be going into my Etsy shop soon, so be sure to look for it there if you are interested...

Thank you for checking out my blog, and I am hoping to be a little better about posting so seldom!

Here are a few more things that I have been mounting onto canvas, with backgrounds done in fabrics...
originally an art journal page, now a wall painting

another aj page made into a painting
I have done several like this, mounting them on canvas, and have been hanging them all over the place in my home, lol!!! It is actually looking pretty nice in here now!

Happy Creating, and hang some of your art! You will be surprised how it dresses up your walls!

Laura
LOLO

Comments

Follower Favorites